Steinhauer School offers extensive leadership development opportunities for students throughout the year by contributing as AMA Safety Patrollers, Student Office Helpers, Reading Buddies, morning announcers, assembly helpers, intramural referees, library helpers, bus leaders, etc.
We are also a Leader in Me School. All Steinhauer students learn the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. This framework helps to develop the essential life skills and characteristics students need in order to thrive in the 21st century. It creates a common language within the school and is built on proven principle-based leadership skills found in Dr. Stephen R. Covey’s, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People:
Habit #1 BE PROACTIVE
You're In Charge
- I am a responsible person.
- I take initiative.
- I choose my actions, attitudes, and moods.
- I do not blame others for my wrong actions.
- I do the right thing without being asked, even when no one is looking.
Habit #2 BEGIN WITH THE END IN MIND
Have a Plan
- I plan ahead and set goals.
- I do things that have meaning and make a difference.
- I am an important part of my classroom and contribute to my school’s mission and vision, and look for ways to be a good citizen.
Habit #3 PUT FIRST THINGS FIRST
Work First, Then Play
- I spend my time on things that are most important.
- This means I say no to things I know I should not do.
- I set priorities, make a schedule, and follow my plan.
- I am disciplined and organized.
Habit #4 THINK WIN-WIN
Everyone Can Play
- I balance courage for getting what I want with consideration for what others want.
- I make deposits in others’ Emotional Bank Accounts.
- When conflicts arise, I look for third alternatives.
Habit #5 SEEK FIRST TO UNDERSTAND, THEN TO BE UNDERSTOOD
Listen Before You Talk
- I listen to other people’s ideas and feelings.
- I try to see things from their viewpoints.
- I listen to others without interrupting.
- I am confident in voicing my ideas.
- I look people in the eyes when talking.
Habit #6 SYNERGIZE
Together Is Better
I value other people’s strengths and learn from them.
- I get along well with others, even people who are different than me.
- I work well in groups.
- I seek out other people’s ideas to solve problems because I know that by teaming with others we can create better solutions than any one of us alone.
- I am humble.
Habit #7 SHARPEN THE SAW
Balance Feels Best
- I take care of my body by eating right, exercising, and getting sleep.
- I spend time with family and friends.
- I learn in lots of ways and lots of places, not just at school.I take time to find meaningful ways to help others.
- Click to view Leader in Me, Parent Guide